Apps for iPhones and Androids
There are loads of useful smartphone apps perfect for people travelling around New Zealand by campervan. Here are some of our favourites.
New Zealand travel apps for iPhone and Android
Find NZ is a one stop app for how to locate all the places travellers want to find, not just tourist attractions and restaurants. The closest site is listed first, and it’s GPS based so will give you the travel distance from your location to the spot. It has both online and offline search capability so you don’t need to be in an area with reception to use it.
Here’s our review:
- The Camping and Caravan Park section is handy, though it only has directions and contact info available. It’d be great if it had amenities as well. Some sites are not listed.
- The Attractions section is good and includes description, link to website plus contact details and opening days/times.
- Amenities – includes banks, dentists, medical and many other categories useful to the traveller. Unfortunately, most listings have an address only – at least a phone number would be beneficial. But it’s a start!
- The Public Toilets section is one of the most helpful features but again the listing is incomplete as many sites are not included. Hopefully this will be remedied in time.
New Zealand Spot-On is a comprehensive travel planning app developed by Air New Zealand.
Here’s our review:
- You can book your flight via your smartphone which is handy.
- Commercial listings of activities and attractions are included, with website link, address, phone number, and description plus map for each listing.
- Tools – Wifi Finder is a great concept but very few listings at this stage. The Distance Calculator is great, and we think the Kiwi Translations (how to understand the local lingo) section is cool! Visitor Centres is a good idea but incomplete.
- Note – Accommodation listings are mixed in with Activities. If you search by the name of the area you are in you may get listings from outside the area.
Apps we’ve been told about but haven’t tried yet
The Rankers camping app has been produced by respected New Zealand travel review site Rankers. It helps you find nearby camping locations when you’re offline, off-the-beaten-track and on-the-go. With over 1200 Locations including all freedom camping sites, government campsites and full-facility commercial holiday parks in New Zealand, it’s a must-have for New Zealand rental campervan travellers.
Campermate is a free New Zealand travel app with over 7,500 locations of facilities such as dump stations, public toilets, rubbish bins, campsites, petrol stations and more. It’s available as an iPhone and android app from the Campermate website.
Wefi is a well-respected database of over 102 million hotspots. Just type in the address and a map of all free wireless hotspots in the area will appear. It doesn’t just find hotspots, it helps you connect.
Tried these apps? What did you think? Send your review to us and we’ll add it to this page.
New Zealand travel apps for ipad
Got an ipad? Check out this blog post on Nine great travel apps you can Use on an iPad from the NZ Tourism Industry Blog.