New Zealand Road Map
To make the most of your New Zealand campervan vacation, you’ll need a good New Zealand road map. There are some free road maps available on the internet, but they’re not nearly detailed enough to help you with your travel planning and they are of little use when touring New Zealand.
A good map of New Zealand should:
- Have both large and smaller scale maps of the North and the South Island
- Contain city maps of at least Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, and Invercargill
- Be easy to handle
- Give clear directions for use
- Contain information about travel distances
- Have an extensive index, including even the smallest villages
- Not only show the main roads, but also the regional ones, and, if possible, even the forest roads
- Be up to date
You probably don’t have as much time as we’ve had to check out all the New Zealand road maps there are on the market. Especially when you have only a few weeks to spend in New Zealand, you would want to buy your New Zealand road map in advance, so you can begin to plan your travel itinerary. We recommend the New Zealand Travellers Road Atlas.
- It has all the things we looked for, and even some more! We particularly liked its spiral binding, that makes this map very easy to handle. And it has a great index, not only of the cities, towns, and villages, but also of the national parks, forests, tracks and skifields.
- It not only has road indexes of Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Invercargill, and Dunedin, but also of Hamilton, Napier-Hastings, Picton, Palmerston North, Taupo, Mt. Manganui, Rotorua and Queenstown, to name just a few.
- A great section of the atlas has a 1:500.000 scale, but there are also some regional enlargements on a 1:175.000, 1:275.000 and 1:350.000 scale in this road map of New Zealand. The city centre maps are all on a 1:35.000 scale – with these you can easily find your way around.
Another good choice might be the A Driving Guide to Scenic New Zealand book. This book features 52 color maps covering all of New Zealand’s best scenic driving routes. Each of these routes is accompanied by an interesting guide to all of the touring highlights covered on the map.